Course Dates : We don’t have a date for this course yet. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest
Time : To Be Decided
Location : Online
This one-month course will be beneficial to anyone who uses English in their workplace and wants to improve their pronunciation, including:
A large component of the course is about individualised feedback and practice recommendations - this means you'll be able to address the pronunciation issues that affect you personally. You'll leave the course with greater awareness, confidence and control in using English for professional purposes.
The aim of the course is to improve your ability to communicate fluently and effectively in spoken English.
We will focus on how specific changes to the positions of the speech organs will result in a more accurate articulation of ‘problematic’ sounds, and how to master the rhythms and intonation of spoken English.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
Revision of ‘challenging’ simple vowel and consonant sounds.
Detailed study of the articulation of diphthongs and associated triphthongs.
Reduction in grammatical words (use of strong/ weak form) as part of revision of the neutral vowel.
Word-stress and sentence-stress, rhythm, sense and breath groupings, intonation and fluency.
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Be easily understood when communicating with native English speakers by using sentence-stress effectively.
2. Demonstrate intention and attitude through the use of appropriate intonation patterns.
3. Demonstrate fluency through the correct application of the weak form of grammatical words.
4. Identify those compound vowel sounds of Standard English/RP (received pronunciation) which are problematic for you.
5. Articulate your ‘problematic’ sounds – both diphthongs and associated triphthongs – with accuracy.
6. Recognise all the phonetic symbols from the international phonetic alphabet relevant to English, and apply this knowledge when using an English pronunciation (phonetic) dictionary.
No technical knowledge of phonetics is required, as all concepts and symbols will be explained as part of the course.
Time commitment: 24 hours (approx)
Course length: 1 month
Copyright @2023 The IELTS School of Toronto. All Rights Reserved.