Course Dates : We don’t have a date for this course yet. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest
Time : To Be Decided
Location : Online
This one-month course helps students use advanced grammar strucures in speaking and writing. It will be beneficial to anyone who uses English in their workplace and wants to improve their speaking and writing skills by using complex, sophistiated sentences, including:
A large component of the course is about individualised feedback and practice recommendations - this means you'll be able to to develop your written and verbal communication skills by being able to identify grammatical patterns and then apply them to your study or work to improve the clarity of your speech.
The aim of the course is to improve your ability to communicate more effectively by analysing, discussing and experimenting with English grammar. This course will help you realise that grammar is really about meaning: understanding better the meaning of what someone is saying and expressing yourself more meaningfully.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
A variety of different grammatical structures will be covered depending on the needs of the group. The main areas likely to be included are:
• uses and meaning of perfect verb forms
• uses and meaning of continuous vs simple verb forms
• when and how to use the passive
• how to use grammar to make your writing/speech more formal e.g. negative adverbials followed by word order inversion
• the use and non-use of the passive
• how to talk generally
• use of abstract nouns and relative clauses
• use of the article and non-article
• verbs followed by particles/prepositions
• use of infinitives and –ing forms
• different ways of talking about the future.
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. express yourself with a high degree of accuracy paying attention to correct form and how grammar can affect meaning
2. use and understand your use of all perfect forms so you can articulate the differences in meaning
3. distinguish the different uses and meanings of continuous vs simple forms talk about the future in different ways
4. identify which grammatical elements can change your writing/speech into a more formal language
5. accurately combine abstract nouns and relative clauses combine a range of verbs and prepositions/particles accurately
6. identify when to use infinitives vs –ing forms.
The language level required to attend this program is intermediate to upper intermediate. Students will have to submit proof of their English Language Proficiency (e.g. IELTS/TOEFL certificates) or take a free online assessment, designed by the IELTS School of Toronto.
Time commitment: 24 hours (approx)
Course length: 1 month
Copyright @2022 The IELTS School of Toronto. All Rights Reserved.